Beaded Necklace Workshop with Saida
Date: June 16
Time: 11am – 1pm
Available spots: 10
Come to SisterWorks and learn how to make a beautiful necklace, inspired by traditional African beading. Saida will guide you through the process of making your own colourful creation and pass on her incredible jewellery making skills. All materials are provided and no previous experience is necessary!
What you will learn:
- How to work with beads to create a unique necklace
- Jewellery making and finishing techniques
What you will get:
- Your own beautiful necklace to take home
- The skills to make beaded necklaces in the future
- To spend time with Saida and learn about her personal journey from refugee to businesswoman in Australia
Saida is a skilled jeweller who makes a range of colourful, bright jewellery influenced by her home country of Rwanda.
“My name is Saida, I am from Rwanda. I have been in Australia for 8 years. My family and I moved to Australia after living in different refugee camps for 17 years. Through SisterWorks, I’ve gone to markets and expanded my business. I was doing beading before I joined, but SisterWorks helped me learn how business goes in Australia—it’s not like African ways.
I decided to start teaching beading workshops because I want to help people to learn and share my designs with others. Beading is like a meditation for me. When I’m beading I only focus on the beads and I relax”.