- Public: Adults 18+
- Date: Saturday, July 27th, 2019
- Time: 10 am to 1 pm (3 hours)
- Venue: 393 Swan St, Richmond VIC 3121
- Capacity: 4 people
- Price: $85 Aud
Looking to make an environmentally friendly fashion statement? Join us for some ethical fashion fun by learning how to make your very own neutral coloured linen top. Linen is a natural fabric made from flax plant fibres making it a biodegradable and recyclable material. It’s a great garment for people and the planet! That’s a statement that never goes out of style.
No sewing skills you say? No problem! SisterWorks is offering this fun and useful workshop for the absolute beginner. Grab a friend and come learn the basics of sewing and leave with your very own garment handcrafted by you! You’ll gain the skills needed to set-up and operate a sewing machine and how to read and use a pattern so you can craft more projects in the future.
After the workshop, you will walk away with foundational sewing skills and a versatile linen top suitable for any wardrobe, any time of year! Linen fibre is perfectly suited for any temperature. In summer, linen allows for better airflow and reflects heat to help keep you cool and comfortable. However, it’s strong fibres can also be insulating in colder temperatures making this a great layering option under cardigans for winter. Plus, this eco-friendly garment makes a great ethical gift for someone you care about!
By attending our workshop, you will help support SisterWorks journey to empowerment of migrant and refugee women.
What you will learn
- How to set up and thread a sewing machine
- How to do a straight seam and French seam
- How to read pattern instructions and properly place patterns on fabric
- How to sew your very own top from start to finish using the skills learned during the workshop
What you will get:
- A completed linen top to wear made by you!
- Shirt pattern and take home instructions for future practice
- The opportunity to support and learn more about one of our entrepreneurs here at SisterWorks
What to bring:
- Just your lovely self! All equipment will be provided by SisterWorks
About the teacher:
Who would have thought that a dentist could also be an amazing craft maker? Well, that’s the case with our Garota, Maria Cecilia. She left Brazil excited to experience a new culture and holding hands with her husband, they both arrived full of dreams and expectations. But after a few months, she started finding herself alone and isolated. She no longer desired to work as a dentist, but she didn’t know for sure what to do or where to go. This was when she found SisterWorks. Her first role was as a volunteer, she helped women in the Design Lab who were just starting up. Her previous knowledge was very useful to support others sewing, crocheting and knitting, and after some time as a volunteer, she also became an entrepreneur creating and selling her own products such as crocheted scarves, shawls and all sorts of fashion items. Maria’s dream now is to combine her entrepreneurial efforts with her love for fashion design.